Town of Waterford, NY

65 Broad St.
Waterford, NY 12188

Javascript error before this line

Join Our Email List

The Town Clerk's Office has temporarily moved to an office at the rear of the first floor hallway.

 Waterford Town Clerk                                                                                                                                                                           65 Broad Street                                                                                                                                                                                         Waterford, NY 12188


This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.  (518)  235-8282 Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Christina McClement- Deputy Town Clerk  Email:  This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Monday 8:30AM - 4:00PM
Tuesday 8:30AM - 4:00PM
Wednesday 8:30AM - 4:00PM
Thursday 8:30AM - 4:00PM
Friday 8:30AM - 4:00PM

We accept cash or check only.

Town Board Minutes

Services provided: Notarial Services

Tax Collection

Notice of Tax Roll and Warrant 2024

As of April 2, 2024 all unpaid tax bills are turned over the Saratoga County Treasurer’s Office, you will need to contact them for updated payment information: 518-884-4724, you must have a copy of your tax bill at the time of your call. The Town Tax Collector can no longer accept property tax payments.  The Treasurer's Office is located at 40 McMaster Street Ballston Spa, NY 12020.  You may also go online to to view and print a copy of your tax bill or receipt.  Payments made after April 1, 2024 will not be reflected on this site.

CERTIFICATE OF RESIDENCE:  We will begin issuing certificates for the fall semester on July 5, 2024..


In order to have Saratoga County participate in the cost of their community college education, a student must obtain a Certificate of Residence and submit it to the college. Military personnel on active duty, as well as their spouses and dependents, are entitled to the lower "Resident" rate.

A student must apply for a certificate no sooner than 60 days prior to the start of classes and no later than 30 days after the college's first day of classes. Certificates remain valid for one year of semesters, provided the student attends during the semester the certificate is issued. A student that does not register for the semester the certificate was issued, must apply for and receive a new certificate.

Students can obtain a certificate in person at the County Treasurer's Office. Students, who are U.S. citizens residing at their current address for at least twelve consecutive months, without moving, may obtain a certificate from their town or city clerk prior to the cut-off date. Cut-off dates are dictated by the start of classes at each college and will vary. Town and city clerks are only authorized to issue certificates until the start of the college semester. Students applying for a certificate after the beginning of the college semester must apply at County Treasurer's office.  Please Note: *An application, whether submitted to the Town Clerk or County Treasurer, will be accepted from an individual other than the student only if the student's signature on the affidavit has been notarized and sufficient proof is submitted.

You must be a current resident of Waterford & have lived at the same address for at least one year in order for the Town Clerk to issue.

At a minimum two proofs of residency are required for Certificate of Residence:

   *Document dated at least one year ago but not more than 18 months showing name, date and current Waterford address.
   *Document dated within the last 30 days showing name, date and current Waterford address.

The standard proof will not be compromised because you have left yourself insufficient time to obtain acceptable proof.

Students that have moved within the past year must obtain certificate at the County Treasurer’s Office. Phone 518-884-4724

     Saratoga County Treasurer’s Office
     Municipal Center – Bldg #1
     40 McMaster St.
     Ballston Spa NY 12020   

   *Students who are not citizens of the United States applying for their FIRST Certificate of Residency must apply in the County Treasurer’s Office.

     Foreign-born students will be asked to provide a Visa, Permanent Resident Card or immigration papers indicating permanent resident status

   *Students must know their social security number (card not required) OR SUNY ID number.
   *If the student is under 21, one of the two proofs may be of the parent.

Click here to download the application.


Marriage License

The Waterford Town Clerk’s Office issues licenses by appointment. Please contact the Clerk’s Office at 518-235-8282 to schedule the appointment.  We accept appointments between 9am-3pm. We may make an exception for an appointment after 3pm.

New York State Requires an ID and Original Birth Record.

The Town Clerk’s Office asks that you provide:

  • Proof of Identification: Current Driver’s License, Non-Driver ID Card, or Valid Passport
  • Original sealed Birth Certificate or certified copy
  • If your Birth Certificate is from another country, it must be translated into English and notarized as certified.

If previously married, for each prior marriage: a certified copy of the divorce decree with the judge’s signature or a sealed certificate of death for a deceased spouse.

  • Divorce papers are filed with the county clerk; if you need a certified copy, contact the county clerk of the county in which you obtained your divorce.

You will need to know your social security number and mother’s maiden name.

If either party will be changing their surname, we ask that you are ready to provide that at the appointment. For more information on surname options please refer to the NYS DOH website

There is a $40.00 fee which includes the license and a certificate of marriage. The fee must be paid in cash.

Facts to Know:

There is a NYS mandated twenty-four (24) hour waiting period from the time we issue your license until the time you may get married. The license is valid for 60 days.

Both parties to this marriage must appear in person in the Town Clerk’s Office at the time of licensing. You must be at least 18 years of age to apply for this license.

The appointment should last 30 minutes.

The license you receive at the Waterford Town Clerk’s Office is good anywhere in New York State.

*For more information on getting married in New York State visit the NYS Department of Health website:

One Day Marriage Officiant License- Information

One Day Marriage Officiant License

VITAL RECORDS- Certified Copies are $10.00

Copy of Marriage Certificate-If you obtained your marriage license from the Waterford Town Clerk’s Office, you can get a copy of your marriage certificate in person at the Town Clerk’s Office or have one mailed to you. Please complete the attached application and either bring with you or send in along with a copy of your driver’s license and a check for $10.00 made payable to the Waterford Town Clerk.  Send to: Waterford Town Clerk, 65 Broad Street Waterford, NY 12188.   Once we receive this information, we will provide a certified copy of the marriage certificate.  If coming in person, please be aware that requests may require one full day to process. Click here for the application:  application-for-marriage-record

Copy of a Death Record- (only occurring in the Town of Waterford) Application for Copy of a Death Record

Application for Genealogical Services


New York State requires that all dogs over the age of 4 months be licensed in the municipality in which they are harbored. 

Owners can apply for a new dog license by mail or in person. To apply for a license by mail, please complete the Application for New Dog License. You can apply in person at the Waterford Town Clerk's Office, 65 Broad Street Waterford, NY 12188.  At the Time of Licensing the Owner Will Need: If the dog is spayed or neutered – Proof from the veterinarian showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered. Proof of ownership - usually in the form of a veterinary bill / medical statement. All dogs four months or older must have proof of a rabies vaccination signed by a licensed veterinarian or a certificate stating why the life of the dog would be endangered by the vaccine. The rabies certificate must have an expiration date at least 30 days greater than the issue date of the new license.

The Town of Waterford issues dog licenses valid for 2(two) years. When the license requirements have been met each dog is assigned a permanent identification number and metal ID tag which is to be attached to the dog’s collar.

LICENSE FEES for the Town of Waterford: Spayed/neutered: $20 unspayed/unneutered: $46 

Application for dog license.

Application For Parking Permit Or License Plates For Persons With Severe Disabilities

Click Here for application


A fishing license is required for anyone 16 years of age or older. Proof of NYS residency (NYS drivers license or non-driver ID) is required. Hunters must show proof of hunter education certification. For more information visit the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation website.


Applications are available at the Town Clerk’s office. There is generally a one week waiting period from application to license due to the fact that all solicitors permit applications are checked through the Waterford Police Department before issuance. The fee for solicitors permit is $50.00 for the Town, $50.00 for the Village, and $100.00 for both the Town and Village.  Click here to access the Solicitors Permit.


There is a burning permit application available at the Town Clerk’s office. There are specific conditions that must be met to have an open fire in the Town of Waterford. (There is no burning in the Village of Waterford.) The application must be filled out and returned to the Waterford Police Department, who in turn will notify the Fire Inspector of the application. The Fire Inspector will then issue the permit if he deems it necessary and impose any conditions he deems appropriate for the burn. This permit will be good for one day only and a copy of said permit will be given to the Police Department. Applications MUST be received at least seven days prior to the requested date of the burn to be considered. All burning permit conditions must be strictly adhered to and all laws followed.